Over the years, I have been using innumerable open source projects, and I am thankful to all the people who worked on these. One of the best things of open source is that it is so easy to give back—so that’s what I did, and still do. This page provides an overview of my contributions to various open source projects, most of which in the WordPress universe.
The following list contains projects that I created myself and that are therefore contributions to open source in and of themselves:
- Adorable Avatars | This plugin integrates the Adorable Avatars avatar placeholder service into WordPress.
- Bring Back the Get Shortlink Button | This plugin brings back the Get Shortlink button, which is hidden by default since WordPress 4.4.
- Default Post Date | Define an individual default post date that is to be used when adding a new post.
- Dobby | Dobby, the friendly Admin Elf, takes care of all your (unwanted) admin notices.
- External Content | This plugin registers a custom post type to handle external content like any other post. The post permalink is replaced by a custom post meta that holds an external URL.
- grunt-delegate | Run a task (and an optional target) while using an arbitrary set of files to run checks against.
- highlight.js Syntax Highlighter | A simple highlight.js-based syntax highlighter plugin for WordPress.
- Linked Taxonomies | Link two (or more) taxonomies and synchronize their terms.
- Meta Taxonomy | This plugin registers a taxonomy that provides a high-performance means to query posts in a somewhat meta-based way.
- Octobox Web Extension | Makes your GitHub notifications icon link to Octobox instead of GitHub.
- Page Keys | Register page keys, assign actual WordPress pages to them, and access each page by its individual key.
- Progress Bars | This plugin registers a configurable shortcode to render HTML5 <progress> elements.
- React Beginner Workshop | React beginner workshop (WordCamp Retreat Soltau 2018).
- Snowbirdie | A Snowbird child theme.
- Template-based Meta Boxes | Show or hide specific page meta boxes according to the currently selected page template.
- Text Modules | Use the new Text Modules custom post type and display a text module by either shortcode or widget.
- tf Song List | tf Song List is an easy-to-use song listing plugin for bands and solo musicians.
- tfinvoice | Simple invoices with built-in calculation.
- That Was Helpful | Find out what posts logged-in users found helpful.
- Unit Test Examples | Example code for my talks and workshops on unit testing.
- WordCamp Europe 2018 Unit Testing | Code for the workshop “An Introduction to Unit Testing (for WordPress)” at WordCamp Europe 2018.
Human Made Contributions
Since working as a Senior WordPress Engineer at Human Made, I contributed to the following open source projects:
- Asset Loader | PHP utilities for WordPress to aid including dynamic Webpack-generated assets in themes or plugins.
- Block Development Playground | A local Altis development environment designed for learning Gutenberg, the new WordPress Block Editor!
- hm-linter bot | Automatically run the HM Coding Standards on any repository.
- Human Made Coding Standards | Human Made coding standards for modern code.
- Human Made Gutenberg Tools | Useful helpers, components or tools for building things with Gutenberg.
- Publication Checklist | Run checks and enforce conditions before posts are published. Built and designed for the WordPress block editor.
- react-wp-scripts | Integrate create-react-app with your WordPress theme/plugin.
- Repress | Connect your Redux store to the WordPress REST API.
- Webpack Helpers | Reusable Webpack configuration components & related helper utilities.
During my work as WordPress engineer at Inpsyde, I made the following open source contributions:
- Inpsyde Menu Cache | Easily cache rendered menus using the Transients API.
- MultilingualPress | The multisite-based free open source plugin for your multilingual WordPress websites.
- Nonces | WordPress nonces in an object-oriented way.
- Top Selling Products | Lightweight package providing a pre-configured, yet filterable WP_Query extension for top selling products.
- Wonolog | Monolog-based logging package for WordPress.
- WordPress Core Autoloader | A proposal for a core WordPress autoloader module.
- WP DB Tools for WP-CLI | WP-CLI commands to perform various actions on the database.
- WP REST Starter | Starter package for working with the WordPress REST API in an object-oriented fashion.
When working as PHP and WordPress developer at intermedi8, I made the following contributions to open source software:
- IM8 Additional CSS | Add an additional CSS file and/or CSS styles for each page or (custom) post.
- IM8 Box Hide | Hide meta boxes based on roles.
- IM8 Exclude Pages | Adds a meta box to the Edit Page page where you can set to show or exclude the page from page listings.
- IM8 qTranslate WooCommerce | Front-end integration of qTranslate into WooCommerce.
And here are all contributions that are neither personal, nor related to Inpsyde:
- 10up Component Library | A library of barebones front-end components built with WordPress and accessibility in mind.
- 30 Seconds of PHP Code | A curated collection of useful PHP snippets that you can understand in 30 seconds or less.
- Advanced React & GraphQL | Starter Files and Solutions for Full Stack Advanced React and GraphQL.
- Antispam Bee | Easy and extremely productive spam-fighting plugin with many sophisticated solutions. Includes privacy hints and protection against trackback spam.
- Avada Kedavra | Disables all WordPress shortcodes registered by the active theme.
- babel-plugin-classnames | Never import classnames again! Converts arrays of classnames to a call of a function of your choice.
- Backing Tracks i18n | Internationalization files of Backing Tracks mobile app.
- Brain Monkey |Mocking utility for PHP functions and WordPress plugin API.
- Camptix Invoices | A WordPress plugin that generates invoices for tickets purchased through Camptix.
- Composer | Dependency Manager for PHP.
- Dashicons | Dashicons, the WordPress admin icon font.
- Flexbox Froggy | A game for learning CSS flexbox.
- Gravity PDF | Gravity PDF is a GPLv2-licensed WordPress plugin that allows you to automatically generate, email and download PDF documents using Gravity Forms.
- grunt-contrib-imagemin | Minify PNG and JPEG images.
- Gutenberg | Printing since 1440. Development hub for the editor focus in core.
- Hot-Reloading Utilities for the WordPress Block Editor | Easily autoload and hot-reload WordPress “Gutenberg” block editor plugins & blocks.
- JS Tips | This is about useful JS tips!
- Liveblog | Liveblogging done right. Using WordPress.
- Mockery | Mockery is a simple yet flexible PHP mock object framework for use in unit testing with PHPUnit, PHPSpec or any other testing framework.
- Monolog | Sends your logs to files, sockets, inboxes, databases and various web services.
- OAuth2 | Connect applications to your WordPress site without ever giving away your password.
- Octobox | Take back control of your GitHub Notifications.
- Offline Mode for WordPress | Use WordPress without all online-checks. Deactivate autoupdate for core, plugins and themes.
- Patchwork | Method redefinition (monkey-patching) functionality for PHP.
- PHP Community-driven Standards | PHP CDS is not a group or organisation, it’s a concept. Its core idea is for the community to create RFCs, discuss them, then hold a vote on their acceptance as a community standard.
- php-crashers | Example scripts that cause segfaults in PHP.
- PhpStorm Workshop | Code for the PhpStorm workshop.
- phulp | The task manager for php.
- psr7-middlewares | Collection of PSR-7 middlewares.
- ReactSnippets | Live Templates for React.
- React For Beginners | Starter files for learning React.js with React for Beginners.
- RTLCSS | Framework for transforming Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) from Left-To-Right (LTR) to Right-To-Left (RTL).
- Snowbird | A responsive WordPress blog theme crafted specially for storytellers.
- Stringintelligenz | Inclusive WordPress localization.
- Twenty Sixteen | Twenty Sixteen is a theme now included in all WordPress installs.
- ViSTA VR toolkit | ViSTA is a software platform that allows integration of VR technology and interactive, 3D visualization into technical and scientific applications.
- Woocommerce Germanized | Adapt WooCommerce to the German Market with WooCommerce Germanized.
- WordCamp PWA Page | Provides a mobile friendly, app-style template with timely schedule information to use as a front page with PWA features during a WordCamp.
- WordPress | Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS.
- WordPress Coding Standards | PHP_CodeSniffer rules (sniffs) to enforce WordPress coding conventions.
- WordPress-Gear | A bunch of gear for WP developers.
- WP Admin Notices | An API for registering and rendering WordPress admin notices.
- WP Find Shared Terms | Find shared terms in your WP install that may be split in WordPress 4.2+.
- WP_Mock | WordPress API Mocking Framework.
- WP-API | Access your WordPress site’s data through an easy-to-use HTTP REST API.
- WP-CLI | The command line interface for WordPress.
- wp-cli/db-command | Perform basic database operations using credentials stored in wp-config.php.
- WPMeetup Widget deutschsprachig | Alle deutschsprachigen WP Meetups – in einem Widget.
- Yoast SEO | Yoast SEO for WordPress.
- zgrab | Application layer scanner that operates with ZMap.
Confession: I shamelessly stole the idea for a page like this from Alain Schlesser. 🙂