Over the years, I have been using innumerable open source projects, and I am thankful to all the people who worked on these. One of the best things of open source is that it is so easy to give back—so that’s what I did, and still do. This page provides an overview of my contributions to various open source projects, most of which in the WordPress universe.
The following list contains projects that I created myself and that are therefore contributions to open source in and of themselves:
- Adorable Avatars | This plugin integrates the Adorable Avatars avatar placeholder service into WordPress.
- Bring Back the Get Shortlink Button | This plugin brings back the Get Shortlink button, which is hidden by default since WordPress 4.4.
- Default Post Date | Define an individual default post date that is to be used when adding a new post.
- Dobby | Dobby, the friendly Admin Elf, takes care of all your (unwanted) admin notices.
- External Content | This plugin registers a custom post type to handle external content like any other post. The post permalink is replaced by a custom post meta that holds an external URL.
- grunt-delegate | Run a task (and an optional target) while using an arbitrary set of files to run checks against.
- highlight.js Syntax Highlighter | A simple highlight.js-based syntax highlighter plugin for WordPress.
- Linked Taxonomies | Link two (or more) taxonomies and synchronize their terms.
- Meta Taxonomy | This plugin registers a taxonomy that provides a high-performance means to query posts in a somewhat meta-based way.
- Page Keys | Register page keys, assign actual WordPress pages to them, and access each page by its individual key.
- Progress Bars | This plugin registers a configurable shortcode to render HTML5 <progress> elements.
- Snowbirdie | A Snowbird child theme.
- Template-based Meta Boxes | Show or hide specific page meta boxes according to the currently selected page template.
- Text Modules | Use the new Text Modules custom post type and display a text module by either shortcode or widget.
- tf Song List | tf Song List is an easy-to-use song listing plugin for bands and solo musicians.
- tfinvoice | Simple invoices with built-in calculation.
- That Was Helpful | Find out what posts logged-in users found helpful.
During my work as WordPress engineer at Inpsyde, I made the following open source contributions:
- Inpsyde Menu Cache | Easily cache rendered menus using the Transients API.
- MultilingualPress | The multisite-based free open source plugin for your multilingual WordPress websites.
- Nonces | WordPress nonces in an object-oriented way.
- Top Selling Products | Lightweight package providing a pre-configured, yet filterable WP_Query extension for top selling products.
- Wonolog | Monolog-based logging package for WordPress.
- WordPress Core Autoloader | A proposal for a core WordPress autoloader module.
- WP DB Tools for WP-CLI | WP-CLI commands to perform various actions on the database.
- WP REST Starter | Starter package for working with the WordPress REST API in an object-oriented fashion.
When working as PHP and WordPress developer at intermedi8, I made the following contributions to open source software:
- IM8 Additional CSS | Add an additional CSS file and/or CSS styles for each page or (custom) post.
- IM8 Box Hide | Hide meta boxes based on roles.
- IM8 Exclude Pages | Adds a meta box to the Edit Page page where you can set to show or exclude the page from page listings.
- IM8 qTranslate WooCommerce | Front-end integration of qTranslate into WooCommerce.
And here are all contributions that are neither personal, nor related to Inpsyde:
- 10up Component Library | A library of barebones front-end components built with WordPress and accessibility in mind.
- Antispam Bee | Easy and extremely productive spam-fighting plugin with many sophisticated solutions. Includes privacy hints and protection against trackback spam.
- Avada Kedavra | Disables all WordPress shortcodes registered by the active theme.
- Brain Monkey |Mocking utility for PHP functions and WordPress plugin API.
- Composer | Dependency Manager for PHP.
- Dashicons | Dashicons, the WordPress admin icon font.
- Flexbox Froggy | A game for learning CSS flexbox.
- Gravity PDF | Gravity PDF is a GPLv2-licensed WordPress plugin that allows you to automatically generate, email and download PDF documents using Gravity Forms.
- grunt-contrib-imagemin | Minify PNG and JPEG images.
- JS Tips | This is about useful JS tips!
- Liveblog | Liveblogging done right. Using WordPress.
- Mockery | Mockery is a simple yet flexible PHP mock object framework for use in unit testing with PHPUnit, PHPSpec or any other testing framework.
- Monolog | Sends your logs to files, sockets, inboxes, databases and various web services.
- OAuth2 | Connect applications to your WordPress site without ever giving away your password.
- Offline Mode for WordPress | Use WordPress without all online-checks. Deactivate autoupdate for core, plugins and themes.
- Patchwork | Method redefinition (monkey-patching) functionality for PHP.
- PHP Community-driven Standards | PHP CDS is not a group or organisation, it’s a concept. Its core idea is for the community to create RFCs, discuss them, then hold a vote on their acceptance as a community standard.
- php-crashers | Example scripts that cause segfaults in PHP.
- PhpStorm Workshop | Code for the PhpStorm workshop.
- phulp | The task manager for php.
- psr7-middlewares | Collection of PSR-7 middlewares.
- React For Beginners | Starter files for learning React.js with React for Beginners.
- RTLCSS | Framework for transforming Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) from Left-To-Right (LTR) to Right-To-Left (RTL).
- Snowbird | A responsive WordPress blog theme crafted specially for storytellers.
- Stringintelligenz | Inclusive WordPress localization.
- Twenty Sixteen | Twenty Sixteen is a theme now included in all WordPress installs.
- ViSTA VR toolkit | ViSTA is a software platform that allows integration of VR technology and interactive, 3D visualization into technical and scientific applications.
- Woocommerce Germanized | Adapt WooCommerce to the German Market with WooCommerce Germanized.
- WordPress | Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS.
- WordPress -Gear | A bunch of gear for WP developers.
- WP Find Shared Terms | Find shared terms in your WP install that may be split in WordPress 4.2+.
- WP_Mock | WordPress API Mocking Framework.
- WP-API | Access your WordPress site’s data through an easy-to-use HTTP REST API.
- WP-CLI | The command line interface for WordPress.
- wp-cli/db-command | Perform basic database operations using credentials stored in wp-config.php.
- Yoast SEO | Yoast SEO for WordPress.
- zgrab | Application layer scanner that operates with ZMap.
Confession: I shamelessly stole the idea for a page like this from Alain Schlesser. 🙂